tnAchieves is holding a reception for prospective mentors for the 2013 school year on Monday, July 9, from 5:30-6:30 p.m. at Leadership Memphis. At this informal session, tnAchieves staff and current mentors will talk about the simple ways that anyone can get involved in sending students to college. tnAchieves is a last dollar scholarship and mentoring program designed to provide an opportunity for Tennessee public high school graduates to receive up to $3,000 annually for community college tuition.
“This is a specialized kind of mentoring. We’re not talking about spending a great number of hours building lifelong relationships. Our students receive very focused advice from people who have had the experience of higher education. This is a small time commitment which can make a big impact in the life of a student who is hesitant or nervous about pursuing a college education,” said Kaci Murley, Memphis/Shelby Coordinator for tnAchieves.
Who can become a tnAchieves mentor?
- Any individual who wants to invest 10-15 hours annually assisting five high school seniors with post-secondary success
- Must be 21 years or older
- Subject to a background check
Unique components of tnAchieves:
- Local funders donate to provide a college education for students who would otherwise lack the opportunity.
- Volunteers serve as mentors to students to eliminate barriers associated with college access and success.
- tnAchieves Scholars “give back” eight hours of community service per semester they receive the scholarship.
For more information, visit www.tnachieves.org
or contact Kaci Murley at 901.258.2177 or email@example.com .