MEMPHIS, TN (abc24.com) - A south Memphis church is picking up the pieces after a fire tore through the building Tuesday night.
It happened around 9 p.m. on Tuesday, June 19 at Gateway Church of God in Christ on the 2200-block of Ketchum road.
Firefighters said it all started when a car struck a utility pole. The wires from that pole caught the church attic on fire while a choir was inside the building rehearsing.
According to Lt. Wayne Cooke with the Memphis Fire Department, "There were church members in the structure. They were able to escape. No injuries were reported for civilians, or to our firefighters."
The flames spread quickly through the church attic; they could be seen shooting from the rooftop.
It took more than 100 firefighters to put the fire out.