MEMPHIS, TN (abc24.com) - An elderly couple is thanking their neighbors after being rescued from an overnight house fire in the Parkway Village area Thursday.
It happened just after midnight on Thursday, October 25 on the 3000-block of Basswood. William and Joan Wages' home of more than 50 years was destroyed.
The couple was sleeping when the fire started. Explosions inside the house woke them up. Neighbors spotted the flames and quickly went into action, breaking windows to get them out of the burning house.
One neighbor, Ramon Villatoro, spoke to ABC24 News through his daughter, who translated.
"He said that since they were so elderly he didn't want to let them die. They were our neighbors and they take care of us a lot and he didn't want to see them suffer."
Villatoro's home was also damaged in the fire.
Firefighters say an electrical fire in the utility room is to blame.