MEMPHIS, TN (abc24.com) - A 100-year old man died in a morning house fire on Canada Road on November 30, 2011.
Just before 9:00am, motorists saw flames shooting from the windows of the home and contacted the Shelby County Fire Department. The Arlington Fire Department also responded to the scene. The fire was extinguished within about thirty minutes, and a male victim was found during a search of the home.
The Shelby County Fire Department has not released the victim's name, but family members tell abc24.com that it was 100-year old George Farris who died in the fire. Farris had lived in the home for nearly his entire life, even before Canada Road was paved.
Neighbors say Farris would often sit on his porch and wave to those passing by, and local firefighters would stop by often to check on him.
The cause of the fire is under investigation, but family members suspect a space heater sparked the blaze.