MEMPHIS, TN (abc24.com) - Memphis firefighters battled a blaze at a Binghampton boarding house and business Monday night.
The fire broke out on the 2500-block of Broad Avenue around 6 p.m. on Monday, January 28.
Memphis Fire Director Alvin Benson says Jim's Upholstery was on the first floor, and a half dozen people lived in the boarding house on the second floor.
James Henderson, a resident at the boarding house, told abc24.com, "We got outside, by the time we got back in there to get something out of there, the smoke was too thick - couldn't get in there."
"A pretty nice size fire is what we have; when crews arrived they saw fire coming through the roof, smoke, a very, very hot fire," Director Benson stated at the scene.
Investigators say a portable electric heater placed near some combustible materials in a bedroom on the second floor caused the fire.
The Red Cross provided assistance for six displaced adults.