MEMPHIS, TN (abc24.com) - Nearly two dozen students at Kirby High School were treated by paramedics after they were exposed to hydrochloric acid Tuesday afternoon.
The Memphis Fire Department and MPD were called to the school around 1 p.m. on Tuesday, September 25. According to a spokesperson with the school district, 22 students complained of skin and eye irritation after someone threw a plastic water bottle containing the liquid. Authorities say nobody came in direct contact with the acid, but were affected by the fumes.
The school was evacuated and the students were treated on the scene by paramedics and released to their parents. One parent chose to take their child to the hospital, but nobody was transported by ambulance.
HAZMAT, MFD and MPD are still investigating the incident; the school has been cleared to open Wednesday as usual.